September 10, 2009

Windows 7 - Update

I am not an early adopter, especially when it comes to technology.  However, I have been so impressed with Windows 7, I have upgraded both my laptop as well as my home/work desktop toWindows 7.  It seems to me that Windows 7 is just that much better than Vista.  If I were to compare it to XP, I personally think Win 7 is just slightly better. 

It is stable.  I have a lot of software installed on these machines, Visual Studio, VirtualBox, accounting software, Adobe products, just to name a few.  And they all work.  Driver support is awesome.  I no longer have to install the software that came with the HP printer that I have.

The AeroPeek feature is nice.  What I like the most is the ability to snap the active window to the left and/or right of your screen by simply holding down the Window key and pressing either the left arrow key / right arrow key.  I believe that these Winkey combinations is new for Windows 7.  Here's a short list of Winkey combinations:

Win+Up arrowMaximize current active window
Win+Down arrowMinimize current active window
Win+Left arrowSnap current active window to left
Win+Right arrowSnap current active window to right
Win+HomeMinimize / restore window
Win+TFocus the first taskbar entry
Pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around.
Win+Shift+T cycles backwards.
Win+HomeMinimize / restore window

If there are others that you have used and found useful, please let me know.

No comments: