August 7, 2012

Transition : Developer to Manager - St. Louis Day of .Net

August 3rd, 2012, I presented a talk at St. Louis Day of .Net. The topic was about my experience transitioning from a developer to a manager.  What I tried to do was to provide some guidelines and provided advise based on what I went through. This is really a difficult topic to present, unlike a technology talk (and to be clear, I am NOT implying that technology talks are easy). There are no "better" way of doing things, in this case, making the transition. I consider the topic of this talk more on the soft skill side.

I was shocked to see that there were so many interest in this talk. All the seats were filled and there were quite a few people were left standing at the back. I was thrilled to see that there were a lot of discussions and questions in the talk. There were a lot of tough and yet great questions.

One of thing that I noticed was that there were quite a few folks that were taking pictures when I brought up the slides of the list of books. And I also had a few folks that came up to me afterwards asking to see the list again. So, here it is. I hope you will find this list a good start and if you have other books that you have personally read and like, please feel free to email me at parkite@gmail.com or leave me a message on this post.

  • One minute manager - Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson
  • How to win friends & influence people - Dale Carnegie
  • Change your questions, change your life - Marilee Adams
  • The three signs of a miserable job - Patrick Lencioni
  • 7 habits of highly effective people - Steven Covey
  • QBQ! The question behind the question - John G Miller

I have also read a few other books from Kenneth Blanchard. They are a very easy read and provided me  a lot of information that I have found very useful.

For those of you who attended my talk at St. Louis Day of .Net, I hope that I was able to provide some help in your quest. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I hope to be able to do this talk again in the near future.

No comments: